This modern take on the classic Middle Eastern bulgur and herb salad swap grains for cauliflower rice, making it nutritious and gluten-free. Serve it as a side dish for roasted or grilled meats or mix it with leafy greens for a healthy salad.
- 1/2 medium head of cauliflower (about 1 pound), coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon (or more) kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups (packed) flat-leaf parsley leaves with tender stems
- 1 cup (packed) mint leaves
- 2 scallions, white and pale-green parts only, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 medium cucumber (about 8 1/2″ long), cut into 1/4″ pieces
- 8 quartered cherry tomatoes.
- Grate cauliflower with the coarse grater disk on a food processor or the largest holes on a box grater until rice-like in texture. Transfer to a large, microwave-safe bowl and toss with 1 Tbsp. oil and 1/4 tsp. salt. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high 3 minutes. Carefully remove plastic wrap, spread cauliflower “rice” on a rimmed baking sheet, and let cool.
- Wipe out the food processor, if necessary, and fit with a chopping blade. Pulse parsley, mint, scallions, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, 3/4 tsp. salt, and remaining 1/4 cup oil until herbs are coarsely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in red pepper flakes. Add cauliflower, cucumber, and tomatoes and gently toss to coat. Season with additional salt, if necessary.
- Note: Cauliflower rice can be made ahead of time and will stay in the fridge for about 3 days.